Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Girl, Interrupted

I found a piano on the sidewalk in Denver, on a cold winter night. It was perched over some greasy spots in the pavement and was surrounded by scatters of slushy leftovers from a winter afternoon. It was shielded only by a tattered awning that hovered partially over it, and was painted a piercing blue so brilliant you could not help but notice. Someone had painted thick, gnarly branches across it, which were adorned with hearty drops of white paint to serve as a snowy blanket. The keys were yellow, with patches of their protective layer chipping to reveal the bony under layer of the worn-out keys. Regardless of the cool, gray buildings around which it resided, the piano stood proudly, happily, waiting for someone to stop, sit, and play.

I hope this blog finds you as this piano found me, hope in what might be a dreary winter, an unexpected surprise that intrigues as much as it invites. My goal was to share with you the journey of a new home, but I may find myself also sharing with you my deepest thoughts. I might do so consistently, or just sporadically. For now, I invite you to stop, sit, and read.

4 comments:

  1. Hurrrrah! I love when my friends who live far away blog! I'll follow you for sure! :) Did you get a picture of this piano? I feel like I've seen it. You should post it here. Love you! (and love the blog title!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo...you figured it out! It looks great. You may want to give it two or three columns and add stuff to the side. I love the title part...how did you do that? Blog away girl...it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! You are both so good at this! I'm glad I can get help from the pros :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always felt that you both had a home in your hearts, now you have an actual house to put it in.
    Congratulations!
    dad

    ReplyDelete